Saturday, October 15, 2011

Let the Journey Begin!

In a galaxy a long, long time ago I saw, "Star Wars" in the theaters when it was originaly released! Yes I was one of the many who saw it during it's first weekend and back then and to this day take pride in saying, "I saw it 13 times in the theater!"

I love the film! I loathe to call it, "Star Wars... Episode 4... A New Hope" because to me that's now what that movie was back in the summer of 1977. Back then and to me always it will BE "Star Wars."

Now I know the franchise is just that... a franchise an for a younger generation all of the films are linked together, but I maintain that the first three films: "Star Wars," "Empire Strikes Back," and "Return of the Jedi" are arguably one of, if not these best trilogy's ever made... with the exception of the "Godfather" movies. Both suffer from a weak third film in the series, but together... as a whole... because of the strength of the first two movies in both series, they are for me the tops of the tops!

That being said, I did see the first three movies chronologically in the "Star Wars" saga. And
if you've ever met me, talked to me, casually read anything here or on my other blog, "The Inside Skinny" you know in two seconds what I think of those films... I hate, hate, hate them! I wrote an open letter to George Lucas after seeing the first episode and I vowed never to buy the DVD's and had no real interest in seeing the first three films ever again.
But then... oh then came Blu-ray and the inevitable, 9 disc 6 film set. My inner geek salivated at the thought of seeing my beloved films... before I knew, but had hoped he wouldn't... George Lucas "Luca-sise" them, altering things now over how they were originally shot and shown. I am a filmmaker and will go to my grave believing, you make a film with the tools you have in a time and place and that's that. You should NEVER be allowed to go back and alter them, including those filmmakers who are now re-releasing films they made in 3-D!(Don't get me started on that) So that being the case I didn't want anything done to the old films, but simply a new, cleaner version for Blu-ray.

So while I got excited and was tempted to buy the new set, I didn't... but for my birthday my dear friend CP... she doesn't like attention so I'll just call her that... gave me the 9 disc set and I was as giddy as Veruca Salt wanting an Umpa-Lumpa... an Umpa-Lumpa Now!

And now because I own the set, I am going to watch every disc in order and write about my experiences. Today starts that challenge! In mere minutes, I will crack open the seal and begin my quest. I don't know how long it will take or how I will feel about the whole project, but I am looking forward to it! I'm going to call this, "Star Wars, The Gut Test" I'm going to try to wipe away any preconceived feelings or notions about all of the films. I'm going to watch this epic in epic form, disc after disc after disc.

I am excited for this journey and hope you will follow along with me! Now I did debate whether or not to write about this trip here at Ketch-Fraze or at "The InsideSkinny" but the latter is really for Triple Sticks Productions... my company and what I'm doing there so I won't write about this there, but will supply a link on that page to what I write here.

I won't deny... I am a card carrying Star Wars geek and proud of it. I just hope more than anything that when it's all said and done, I don't have to turn in my card and become one of the millions who have lost all hope in what is good and evil in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment