Sunday, October 30, 2011

Update: TheStarWarsGutTest

Disc Five: Empire Strikes Back

October 30, 2011


INITIAL GUT REACTION: Some have argued this is the best film of the series to which I reply, without "Star Wars" or "Episode Four" you would not even have "Empire." But I will say it's another great film, up there with "Star Wars" in my book. This film is darker than "Star Wars" but not in an over the top way as in "Episode Three" which I think was way too dark and in fact rated PG-13... the only film in the series to to have that rating. One of the things that stands out even more today than ever is the score which I will discuss later.


STAR WARS MYTHOLOGY: I still believe Lucas hadn't made up his mind regarding Luke, Leia and Han. There are also some flaws in the relationship aspect of Luke and Vader which left holes that I don't think were ever really set up in 1-2- or 3. I think they tried to make all connect, but there are too many flaws and I suspect in "Return of the Jedi" we'll see more "Cover-Your-Ass" to try to make it all seem like George had a great big plan for everything.


CHARACTERS: Han and Leia are really the stars in this one as you start to see the development of their relationship. It's playful, fun and a nice counterpoint to some of the darker elements in this film. For me I like this version of Yoda the best and I could have lived with this Yoda for the first three films as well. Lucas did introduce a black character in this film, "Lando Calrission," but he wasn't as complex or as strong as he could be.


ACTORS: Harrison Ford once again almost stole the film. The two of them on screen have such great chemistry it's hard to look away! Frank Oz who created and played "Yoda" does a fantastic job and delivers some of the best lines in film history as the little green one. As for Billy Dee Williams... He was good with what he had... I maintained then and now he was too old to really play a contemporary of Han Solo and I think they could have found someone who could appeal to a younger audience. Billy Dee was my mother's crush growing up and in the early 70s so I don't think he was right fit.


THE LOOK OF THE FILM: Gorgeous as usual thanks to Blu-Ray. One of the things you notice the most about the film is the visual overall look. The "Hoth" sequences are really good and the last fight sequences with Darth Vader and Luke are spectacular and created such a moody moment for the film and the series.


THE DISC ITSELF: Nothing too fancy with this one, just the film and then audio commentary.


THINGS I LIKED: The major thing I loved about this episode is the John Williams score. To me this may be the best of the 6 films. People don't understand that THIS was the first film we heard "The Imperial March" aka Darth Vader's theme and it is pure genius! Take a look and listen to this film and you hear all of the original themes coming into the score, but when you factor in, "The Imperial March," "The Battle in the Snow," and "The Asteroid Field" you'll see why I love this score.


ALL IN ALL: Without a doubt this is another great film! Irvin Kershner directed it and it is the right tempo, tone and darkness. I do love the film and remember the only thing I didn't like when I was a kid was the fact that Vader said Luke was his son. I remember arguing that for years until the next film and I have to be honest I still don't know that I like that twist and will ever warm up to it. I liked the idea of Vader playing with his mind, but I wanted Darth to be Darth and strong.

OVERALL ALL GRADE: A

No comments:

Post a Comment