Saturday, December 21, 2013

Tallahassee or Bust! Day 2: 3 for 1... not a bad bargin!

Today was a mixed bag... good... odd... uncomfortable... glad it's over!  Three states, one day... not a bad bargain on paper, but it's how the day ended that jacked everything up... but I digress.

First, the day started in Phoenix then over to Tucson for a breakfast at the "Blue Willow Restaurant and Gift Shop," with a former co-worker from Memphis, Jason Ground a big wig now with the Democratic party in Tucson... he's the Director of Communications for the Pima County Democratic Party, not a bad gig.  I got to meet his two sons and hang out with his lovely wife(I knew her already and he did well!)... who by the way is not "down" with the social media and you won't find her online... I might be giving away more than SHE even
wants me to say now!  But it was a great breakfast, Jason had some good advice and insight into my new job, so it was good to hear his take on things.

Before I hit the road, I did swing by the University of Arizona and checked out the campus. Pretty impressive I must say. I can see why folks might want to matriculate there. :)
After hoping out of the car, taking some pics, losing my sunglasses it was onto the drive. Now my plan was to go to El Paso, but I ended up getting there really early so I pushed on through... more about that in a moment.

The drive today was pretty cool and the pictures posted here make it look even cooler... however I will mention that the average temp was about 43 degrees the entire drive!

So the drive took me from Arizona, through New Mexico and some very creepy truck stop dolls.


And then half of Texas... which by the way I saw one of the coolest things ever! Check this out... Yep... you can drive 80 legally in parts of the Lone Star State.  It was pretty wild I do have to say, especially since a year ago I got a ticket going 68 miles an hour, 8 over the limit in this one part of California... bitter???? Who me???
Now here is the "FUBAR" portion of the day: Because I powered through El Paso, I didn't really have a plan on where I would stay for the night. After some Internet searching I decided Van Horn would be my landing spot.

So I roll up, there is a "Ramada Inn" there.  It wasn't the best place in the world but I've stayed in worse.  I dropped my bags and went into town to see if I could find something to eat and the entire town's Internet service was down. No credit cards, no Facebook, no Tweeting... It was like... like... 1979 all over again! (I might be dating myself... but many of you are right there with me dating as well!)

I was so frustrated that I had let myself down without proper planning. I went back to the room, told them I couldn't stay there and drove about another 80 miles to Fort Stockton Texas. This time it's a "Super 8 Hotel."

The room is slightly better than Van Horn and at least I could get a burger near by and we have Internet.
The day is done... I just want to crash. No gym here tonight, just a bed the Keith Morrison would probably have a field day with.  At least tomorrow I'm booked into, what I believe is a decent hotel in San Antonio and because I did have to go further before stopping, my drive won't be AS crazy as today.

You win some, you lose some... and sometimes it's a tie... just like kissing your sister... You can pick which one today was in my world!

Coda: (Lotion Picture Day 3)
Super 8 Hotel



What people??? STILL no comments or thoughts about the big experiment? lol

1 comment:

  1. What an adventure. I wouldn't want to be disconnected from the world either - no internet. Crazy!!! What was up with that town? Stay safe and keep posting!!
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete